The Municipal Manager is a key role player in the functioning of the municipality. He acts not only as a communication channel between the Council and Community, but also as an Accounting Officer and Head of Administration of the municipality. As head of administration the municipal manager of a municipality is, subject to the policy directions of the municipal council, responsible and accountable to/or
The formation and development of an economical effective, efficient and accountable administration:
- Equipped to carry out the task of implementing the municipality’s integrated development plan.
- Operating in accordance with the municipality’s performance management system.
- Responsive to the needs of the local community to participate in the affairs of the municipality.
- The management of the municipality’s administration in accordance with the Local Government Municipal Systems Act of 2000 and other legislation applicable to the municipality.
- The implementation of the municipality’s integrated development plan, and the monitoring of progress with implementation of the plan.
- The management of the provision of services to the local community in a sustainable and equitable manner.
- The appointment of staff other than those referred to in section 56(cz), subject to the Employment Equity Act, 1998 (Act No. 55 of 1998);
- The management, effective utilisation and training of staff.
- The maintenance and discipline of staff.
- The promotion of sound labour relations and compliance by the municipality with applicable labour legislation;
- Advising the political structures and political office bearers of the municipality.
- Managing communications between the municipality’s administration and its political structures and political office bearers.
- Carrying out the decisions of the political structures and political office bearers of the municipality;
- The administration and implementation of the municipality’s by-laws and 15 other legislation.
- The exercise of’ any powers and the performance of any duties delegated by the municipal council, or sub-delegated by other delegating authorities of the municipality, to the municipal manager in terms of section 59:
- Facilitating participation by the local community in the affairs of the municipality.
- Developing and maintaining a system whereby community satisfaction with municipal services is assessed;
- The implementation of national and provincial legislation applicable to the municipality; and
- the performance of any other function that may be assigned by the municipal council.
A municipality may establish or participate in a municipal entity only if the municipal manager, at least 90 days before the meeting of the municipal council at which the proposed establishment of the entity, or the municipality’s proposed participation in the entity, is to be approved:
Has, in accordance with section 21A of the Municipal Systems Act:
- made public an information statement setting out the municipality’s plans for the municipal entity together with the assessment which the municipality must conduct; and
- invited the local community, organised labour and other interested persons to submit to the municipality comments or representations in respect of the matter: and
Has solicited the views and recommendations of:
- the National Treasury and the relevant provincial treasury:
- the national and provincial departments responsible for local government
- the MEC for local government in the province; and
As accounting officer of the municipality the municipal manager is responsible and accountable for:
- All income and expenditure of the municipality;
- All assets and the discharge of all liabilities of the municipality; and
- Proper and diligent compliance with applicable municipal finance management Legislation